Lets model

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by monktiger, Dec 9, 2012.

1. monktiger

monktiger Well Known Member

I want to make a nice epic server animation, but before you can animate, you need to model the characters.
    I'm still unsure about whos going to be in the animation, but I do know that I want stanky and natbyte in it. Why them? well we def need natbyte in it (he will only be in it for a few seconds unfortunately for the idea I have ^^. And I want stanky in it because his skin gave me an idea for a character in the animation. I been looking at all your skins, and tbh, most suck =D (epic wise), so Idk what ill do with that, I have a little idea and ill see if it will work out. I only checked staff skins so far since their names are all listed nicely. I will check some other active members on the forum to see if they got any skin I like and fits with the other characters I have in mind. I mean, it is the servers animation, it should have the people in it, so ill do my best. Id also need someone to build meh a nice castle for the animation, but id need to give more info on that later. And it would need to be in a singleplayer world since I cant download whats on the server, at least not without the seed I believe.

Back to modeling...
    Most characters will be simple, but stanky, natbyte, and 2 other characters I'd want to stand out a little.
    I also want to keep things minecrafty, which leads to my problem and is why I'm asking you guys to help me on creating the characters.
    Stankys skin is a dinosaur / reptile looking creature, so I want to have a character that is very strong, has a ban hammer as a weapon, and has some reptile characteristics. This is what I did for the body so far
    stankfront2.jpeg
    stankfront.jpeg
    stankback.jpeg

To me, it doesn't really look that great. Keeping it minecraft like is hurting the image.
    Ive only worked on the body. The head, hand, and legs were just put there to give an idea of the character.
    Things I plan on adding are-
    *spikes on back leading to tail
    *Muscle on arms
    *A mouth that pops out a little like a dinosaur
    *maybe sharp nails on feet
    Keep in mind that his character is also much bigger in size compared to all the others.
    The texture on him will be made similar to stankys skin.

I need suggestions on what you think will make his character look nice and minecrafty. Remember, my problem isnt modeling a nice reptile man, its making it look minecrafty.

I will also probably not add hands or anything to any character. Not even a hole in the hand.

I didn't really go into nats char yet. I only made a little bit of his metal jaw.
    natjaw.jpeg

Leave suggestions please!!
    Is the body for stanky good enough for me to continue working on?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dettles

Dettles Well Known Member

This is going to be completely epic.... :D

Its going to be hard I think to keep it minecrafty and make it look good. Maybe keep the chearacters box-ish in shape? Or just keep the skins pixilated and the world around them very minecrafty.
    I have no idea, I'm not good with this kind of stuff so that probably doesnt help at all XD However I am very, VERY excited to see what you come up with Monk :)

3. What you can do, is use as many accesories as possible, covering spots that you cannot thing what to add.

And yes stanky2's model is quite fine. :p

4. monktiger

Most characters will have pixelated skins except for their face most likely. And ill do my best dettles ^^, learning as I make this.

I will be adding armor accessories to most characters, but id like the main 3 characters to be made well (nat isnt a main character unfortunately D=, at least not in this video ^_~) . Ill keep your suggestion in mind though unwise in case I and the people of the forum have no clue what to do ^^.

5. imme

imme Well Known Member

Don't say you don't like your own creations. To me that is just asking for compliments. I am not saying YOU are, but I know others who do this type of thing. I think that is really good (better than anything I could ever do), you should really finish it with color and everyhting it would be really cool

6. FillWerrel

FillWerrel Survival Staff
    Staff Member Newshound

Pleeeease say you are working on a new promo for the server monk!

And this looks awesome!

7. monktiger

hehe, I had someone on the forum say that to me in the past. I am in no way looking for attention or for people to praise me. In fact, I wanted this whole project to be a big surprise, but I just cant seem to like how things look when its minecrafted. I also didn't say it sucks, just doesn't look that great. I like how the tail and chest came out, but I don't know if the sides are really working out for me. Also the bottom looks a lil weird too.

Even after u and another person said not to say I think my creation sucks, I will continue to say it in the future. Though I think the way I said it in this post was better, and more appropriate, than in a previous.

First line of the post fill ^^. I will do my best.

8. imme

imme Well Known Member

It will probably look better with color, that is, if you plan to put in some color

9. monktiger

ofc I do, but modeling comes before texturing and rigging.

10. Happy_Cookies

Happy_Cookies Well Known Member

Lol, there's an ad for computer animations....It's a sign! :O!

But if it's as good as your pictures, it will surely be amazing, and theater worthy :D

11. TechTeller

TechTeller Forum Legend

What 3D modelling software are you using? I tried my hands at animation but Im not a good enough artist to make em work out lol ;)
    Stanky's model is fine, though I recommend keeping everything boxy if you want people to recognise the characters (unless you can adapt the skins into nice textures too).

12. monktiger

I use autodesk maya.

Ive added some spikes on the back, and made the body a little slanted inward instead of just straight down.
    Is the slant better than just straight? Ignore the straight tail.

stankbackspike.jpeg

stanksideslant.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. bajj597

bajj597 Forum Legend

Slant is better, but dont mold it anymore. Keep the boxy look some. You could beef out the legs a bit? I think, the best way to keep it looking minecraft, but make it look as good as possible, is to make the chest fairly boxy and then the appendages a lot less boxy. And keep the head a box with certain additions (lets say a snout (for stanky) or a metal jaw (for natbyte)).

14. deathweek

deathweek Member

Hi monktiger, I really like animating myself, however I swear auto desk maya is like 1200 dollars, however I would really like to help you if you want me to, please mail me over forums :) thanks deathweek

15. monktiger

^^ thnx death, ill keep you in mind.

dunno if id want a snout for stanky. Though I do think I need something in the middle of the face. Would be to empty. Guess ill put in some bone details or w/e.
    Got the teeth done.

teeth.jpeg

EDIT -

I think I finished modeling stankys character.
    stankdonefront.jpeg
    stankdoneback.jpeg

Let me know if I should fix/add anything, but for now I will work on the next character, which would be ninja looking. Only ninja staff we got is ponm I think, but I dunno if I like his skin.

• Like Like x 3
  16. MojoBunny

MojoBunny Well Known Member

wooh the biceps! *_*

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dannylb

Dannylb Well Known Member

I will change if you need me to monk<3

18. monktiger

High def chest and abs, and you focus on the small biceps ^_~
    Women :rolleyes: jkjk =D

lol, well danny idk if there is a skin out there with the image of the other 2 character im trying to think of.

Let meh know how this sword looks. Ima work on wep and armor now before other 2 characters since im still thinking about how they should look.

swordmodel.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. bajj597

bajj597 Forum Legend

Im not a fan of the horns in all honesty. But I think the characters all-in-all shape wise look nice!

20. monktiger

I added the horns cuz the head was to plain. A nice cheap way to fix that ^_~

Spear wep for 1 of the 3 main fighters.

spear.jpeg

I used this image as a reference.
    spear.png

Not exact, and I can easily fix it to make it more exact, but I like how it is for the most part. May do a few tweaks here and there later. 1 thing I might change is making the overall spear top smaller in size.
    Criticism is always welcomed. Its the reason I'm posting these images.

• Like Like x 2