Recommended mods and how to install

Discussion in 'Minecraft Server Tutorials' started by Exavious, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Hey everyone :)

So I thought I would put a post here for those of you who do not have any mods or want them but just cant figure out how to install them correctly. Below I will explain the easiest method of handling mods and which ones are best to install (and allowed) on our wonderful server!

There are two popular and well built mod managers, Magic Launcher and SK Launcher. Both work well its just a matter of preference.
    Step 1: Install the Mod manager, follow the easy and simple to follow instruction on it's forum page:
    Magic Launcher:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/939149-launcher-magic-launcher-097-mods-options-news/

[​IMG]

SK Launcher:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...15-easily-install-mods-update-mc-open-source/
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Download your mods onto your computer and add them to your Mod Manager, specific details on how-to are explained on each one's forum page.

Step 3: Once you have added all your mods to your manager your set to go! Easy as 1 2 3.

Both Mod managers allow you to uncheck mods you don't wish to run right now or are causing conflicts with other mods, and since you are using these you never even have to touch your .jar or worry about messing anything up.

~Now to the Mods you should use to get the most out of your MC experience
    1) Modloader: required to run many mods out there.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v145-risugamis-mods-updated/

2)Rei's Minimap: A minimap with many helpful features such as waypoints, tracking death points, coordinates, orientation and so much more.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-145-nov21-reis-minimap-v32-05/

3)Optifine: One of the most helpful and useful mods out there, improves performance, patched HD texture pack automatically, gives control over many aspects of game such as: clearer water, random mobs, connected textures, turning off things such as rain and much much more.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/

4)Improved Chat: Improves the functionality of the chat window greatly.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/123409-123-wdmods-creepers-sneak-and-chat/

(optional)WEcui <worldedit cui> adds a border around your world edit selections so that you can see what you have selected easily. Useful when buying a region or using your stick to measure distances while building. Not required to do either but does make it easier.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...rldeditcui-gui-visualizer-for-worldedit-v145/

These are the core and highly recommended mods out there, however there are many many useful mods out there so don't be afraid to explore and try new things! Just be sure to ask and make sure the mod in question is permitted on this server.

Any question you have or anything you think should be added just comment below.

• Like Like x 4
  2. bajj597

bajj597 Forum Legend

question: Will installing magic launcher with mods on MC before it allow those mods to show up? *I am going to test now*

Doesn't work, and doesnt like modloader for me :(. I will try next patch

3. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

In order to use magic launcher you must start with a fresh bin folder. Just delete your bin and start MC to get a fresh one. And it does work with modloader you just need to install modloader like all other mods with the add button and not before installing magic Launcher.

Also if you are wanting to do WECUI... since you have to unzip and pull the right folder out in order to install it you must put WECUI under external mods my clicking the "manage" button and adding it in that section manually. Works the same.

4. BC519

BC519 Active Member

I have all of those working with out modloader -.-
    Otherwise great post!

5. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

got to remember this is for those who are not familiar with manually installing mods.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Xalvor

Xalvor Member

Is it just me, or does Exavious have Windows 98!?!

• Like Like x 2
  7. BC519

BC519 Active Member

Unfortunately I have no idea how i got them working without mod loader, im interested to see how i did it

8. globster8

globster8 Well Known Member

Magic Launcher is definitely the way to go - whether you are familiar with manually installing mods or not. Why go through the trouble of continually opening your jar file and manually copying files over (anf hoping you don't create compatibility problems) when you can just drop the zipped mod into a folder, click a couple of buttons, and you're ready to go.

I also agree with your 3 must have mods - and you have them listed in order of importance.

By the way, on the topic of Optifine, if you're using the multi-core version and getting a large amount of visual glitches and flickering/invisible chunks - the problem is Optifine. Switch to another version....spent all day figuring that out after I upgraded my video drivers...

9. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Windows 98... ahh... that brings back memories ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  10. Conanto

Conanto Well Known Member

this is way too organized for, but ill give it a try when 1.2 comes :)

11. Looken

Looken Active Member

i dont do what u do..
    i download winrar, copy files over to minecraft.jar
    delete meta-inf
    ???
    Profit

12. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

yep that method works great. until it doesn't :p Magic Launcher is by far easier and more convenient and also handles HD texture packs for you too.

13. Deeperdigger

Deeperdigger Member

Exavious, optifine already adds HD texture pack support.

14. bajj597

bajj597 Forum Legend

All im going to say is Ill try it out for 1.2, but I will most likely stay with manual installation.

15. Conanto

Exa, when all this mods update, can you make a tutorial on how to install them using magic launcher please ? :O

16. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

yes when they are updated i will update the download links for them.

17. Conanto

has any mod updated ? excluding TMI

18. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

When they are all updated i will update this post and let you know, as I too am waiting for them to all update.

Rei's minimap seems to be the only one updated so far. And from what i gather Optifine is going to take a while to update.

19. Conanto

when I try to run TMI and reis together with modloader, it crashes :/

20. bajj597

bajj597 Forum Legend

Look at the mod pages, I believe on rei's theres a place where it says to download it (after/before) <insert mod> without the <XX>.class