Recommended mods and how to install

Discussion in 'Minecraft Server Tutorials' started by Exavious, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Risto_Reipas

Risto_Reipas Active Member

2. Scryercloak

Scryercloak Active Member

o_O I'm really new to mods of anykind,... Just the server-based mods were enough to learn,... so the question is why? What mod would be useful and why? I run MC as the standard 1.2.5 and have no issues other than the random missing quadrant while on /fly until I land nearby and it loads. I've seen some facinating textures and other than changing your visuals what else is there?

3. mastergeodude

mastergeodude Member

Well first of all there's the mod above you, keybind mod. That's extremely useful because it speeds up the process of typing out commands over and over by simply having to press a key of your choice, then there are single player mods that are real game changers, like build craft, forestry, tale of kingdoms etc. There are also modpacks which include loads of cool mods, e.g the Yogbox, Technic Pack, and Bashpack (not yet released but looks awesome), they usually have installers inbuilt so you don't even have to do the modding.

If you want good mods to try out you should look at AdamzoneTopMarks videos and Yogscast's reviews, or Captain Sparklez' reviews, there's loads of mod reviewers out there who find great stuff.

Hope this helped ^^

4. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Mods are half the amazing experience of Minecraft. If you have not delved into the huge ocean of available content by other people you are missing out on a huge part of what minecraft is. Not only do mods add functionality and convience to minecraft (like Minimaps, chat, keybinds, etc) they also add adventure and even entire new realms (such as Aether). Did you know that long before pistons were part of the "official" minecraft they were once a mod and notch liked them so much he added them into the game.

And if you dont have mods and use Optifine your really missing out on functionality.

5. Scryercloak

Scryercloak Active Member

:D that's a facinating bit of info there Exavious! Both you and mastergeodude have got me curious,... feel free to suggest your favorites and I'll post what this mod newb thinks and what I finally decide on. Let the revision begin ^^

6. Kenny

Kenny Well Known Member

Rei's MiniMap is one to use, as well as Optifine :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tsukasa Kun

Tsukasa Kun Stars of the Forums

Attached Files:

8. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Added VR-ChatMod and removed Improved chat ( due to person not keeping up to date with it on updated )

9. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Well its been a long time since i updated this page lol, updated it for you guys.

10. BananaDave

BananaDave Active Member

Hey i know this it a old thread but i have had loads of trouble with the custum lanchers the mods work and everything but i cant login to any servers when i use them ive tryed magic lancher sk lancher and multiMC but every time i get the same message ip is invaled on local machine or on remote machine or something like that. As i said if i use the defalt lancher and install mods the old way it works fine. Can someone plz help

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

I've never had that issue with launchers, just put in your MC login info correctly and there is no reason it shouldn't work. Only time I had that issue was with the Feed the Beast modpack launcher when running multiple minecrafts such as being logged on FTB and reg MC at the same time. Sorry I can't be of much help there, maybe somebody else can.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. xDeadcowx

xDeadcowx New Member

Banana, if you have any firewall programs on your computer, try temporarily disabling it and signing in again. If a firewall blocks minecraft it will give that invalid IP error.

13. BananaDave

BananaDave Active Member

Ok ill try that now if i can figure it out lol mum probs has passwords and stuff but ill try

14. BananaDave

BananaDave Active Member

I turned off my firewall but it still wont work but ill post the exact message so you can see:

Failed to login: java.net.connectException connect: address is invalid on local machine, or port is not valid on remote machine

dont know if this helps but there you go :)

15. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Try logging into https://minecraft.net/ and see if it will let you. Two other standard steps to use when something screws up is to 1) Re-Install Minecraft and if that doesnt work 2) Update/re-install your JAVA.

16. FillWerrel

FillWerrel Survival Staff
    Staff Member Newshound

I had the same error at one point, I deleted and re-installed my Java, deleted my .minecraft and reinstalled and after that I had no issues.

17. BananaDave

BananaDave Active Member

Ok ill give it a go